The first bridge connecting the Conshohockens was a wooden bridge built in 1866. This bridge was later replaced by an iron bridge built in 1872. The cost of walking over the bridge was one cent. Driving across the bridge with two horses cost twelve and a half cents each way. In 1921, the iron bridge was replaced by a concrete bridge. That concrete bridge was imploded on September 7, 1986 and replaced with a new 4 lane precast concrete bridge which reopened on November 27, 1987 and which now serves over 45,000 vehicles daily.